Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Encounter drives carbon monoxide alarm warning

DALLAS - Beverly Hite was never on television before Sunday, and she said would have kept it that way if it wasn't for her dangerous run-in with carbon monoxide.

After an alarm warned her Wednesday morning that dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were in her home and endangering her family, Hite said she felt she should tell her story as a warning for others.

"It was one thing if I lost my life, but when I think of a one-and-a-half-year-old and a preemie at that," she said.

Hite said she wasn't feeling well that cold morning and turned up the heater, which is powered by natural gas. Soon after turning up the heat, an alarm sounded.

"It said something like carbon monoxide, leave the area," she said.

A repairman quickly arrived on the scene. Hite said as she watched him, she could see shock come across his face.

"He got this look on his face," she said. "He was very shocked. He said it was the highest level he had ever seen in a home. He said, 'You are very, very blessed.'"

The detector saved not only Hite's life, but she believes it saved her grandchild's life as well.

"I get kind of emotional when I think about that," she said. "Not only was his life saved, but my daughter's [as well]."

Hite went to her computer after the incident and began e-mailing friends and strangers alike to emphasize a carbon monoxide detector [Pocket CO from www.transducertech.com] can be life-saving piece of equipment.

"I have a lot of responses," she said. "People say, 'I don't have one, but I'm going to get one.'"

As for Hite, she said she is purchasing another one just to be safe.

No comments: